Wednesday 25 April 2012

Experiencing shock waves in a bus!

The other day, while on my way back from office, I found an empty seat near an elderly man in the bus.
Few minutes later, a petite young woman came and stood beside me. Within a minute she asked the gentleman to get up!
Surprised, I looked up at her and she pointed towards the plank which read "Reserved for ladies".



The gentleman might have been hard of hearing because he didn't respond. At first, she started muttering to herself and then she actually asked me, "Can't he hear or what?". As if that wasn't enough, some moments later she tapped the man on the shoulder and told him, "This seat is reserved for ladies. Please get up."
"I am a handicapped person.", he said softly.
Undeterred she repeated again, "Go and find yourself a seat. This is only for women."
After a minute or two, whether embarrassed or frustrated, I don't know, he got up from there. When I offered him my own seat, he politely refused. On seeing he wasn't even being able to stand in the moving bus, a young man seated near got up for him.


I don't know whether this is a regular affair in buses, but I was shocked! Have our manners and values really gone this down the drain?!





5 comments:

Shikha said...

Surely the lady was a harsh one..BUT to mention there are seats reserved for handicapped and senior persons in most of the buses nowadays.

Vikash said...

True yar these things happen all these time now...its veryy bad

Anonymous said...

the physical handicap could slowly (yet painfully) be made a part of life - the mental handicap hurts the society.

Aditi said...

Very true! Most of the time people fail to realize how rude they've been!

Aditi said...

Wish we could make a difference though....